In this article, we’ll look at a bunch of situations where people ask and respond to How are you? in different ways. First, let’s look at a classic example conversation using this phrase:
在这篇文章中,我们将看一系列的情况,人们会问你,你的反响可以上下分的电玩软件若何?以不合的方法。起首,让我们看一个经典的对话示例:

A: Hello, how are you?
A: 你好,你好吗?

B: I’m well, thank you. And you?
B: 我很好,感谢。你呢?

A: I’m well, thank you.
A: 我很好,感谢。

Here, person A uses the question How are you? as a standard greeting. It’s customary to respond, but it’s not always necessary. In this case, person B decides to respond with I’m well. Notice that he uses the adverb well as a modifier for the verb to be (which becomes I’m). This is grammatically the most correct way to respond, but as we’ll see later, it’s not the only way. Person B then returns the question by asking, And you?, to which person A gives a similar response. Let’s look at the next scenario:
在这里,人A会问你怎样?作为标准的问候语。这是习气性的回应,但其实不总是须要的。在这类情况下,人B决定可以上下分的电玩软件答复我很好。留意,他应用副词作为动词be的润饰语(变成了I'm)。这是语法上最精确的回应方法,但正如我们稍后将看到的,这不是唯一的方法。然后,B小我经过可以上下分的电玩软件过程提问前往成绩,你呢?,对此,A小我给出了类似的答复。让我们看看下一个场景:

A: Hey, how are you?
A: 嘿,你好吗?

B: I’m good, thanks! You?
B: 我很好,感谢!你呢?

A: I’m fine. Lately, just classes and work.
A: 我很好。比来,只是上课和任务。

Here, person B responds to the question How are you? not by saying I’m well but by saying I’m good. The word good is an adjective and traditionally not a proper modifier for the verb to be. But although this may be considered grammatically incorrect, it’s actually a much more common response than I’m well, which often sounds too stiff and formal. Another natural-sounding alternative is to say I’m fine, just as person A says in the third line. Notice that you can return the question of How are you? in several ways:
在这里,B小我答复你怎样了?我说我不好捕鱼电玩上下分。good这个词是个描述词,传统上不是动词to be的恰当润饰语。固然这能够被认为捕鱼电玩上下分是语法缺点可以上下分的电玩软件,但实际上这是一个比“我很好”更罕见的答复,这听起来太僵硬和正式了。另外一个听起来很天然的选择是说我很好,就像第三行的人A说的那样。留意,您可之前往“你好吗?”?在几个方面:

How are you? /And you? /You? /How about you?
你好吗?/你呢?/你呢?/你呢?

This next scenario is a bit more complicated:
下一个场景要复杂一些:

Friend A: Hey, I haven’t seen you in forever!
同伙甲:嘿,我好久没见你了!

Friend B: I know! How have you been doing?
同伙B:我知道!你比来怎样?

Friend A: I’ve been doing well, thanks. How about you?
同伙A:我一向很好,感谢。你呢?

Friend B: Hanging in there. Want to grab lunch sometime?
同伙B:在那儿等着。想找个时间吃午餐吗?

Friend A: Yeah, I’m down!
同伙A:是啊,我倒下了!

First off, instead of simply asking How are you?, friend B asks a slightly different question: How have you been doing? The difference is that while How are you? simply asks about a current state, How have you been doing? asks how a person has been doing lately. In other words, it’s a way to catch up with the other person. In this conversation, it’s an appropriate question since the two friends haven’t seen each other in a long time. You can also say How have you been?, which means the same thing. Similarly, How are you? and How are you doing? basically mean the same thing and are both commonly used. In response, friend A conforms with the present perfect progressive tense by saying, I’ve been doing well. Here, it actually sounds natural to use the adverb well because it’s modifying the verb to do, not the verb to be. Friend B, on the other hand, responds to friend A’s question by saying Hanging in there. This is a casual idiom that basically means that life has been difficult (hectic, stressful, etc.), but the person is managing to keep up. Since How are you? is used as a greeting, it’s common for the other person to respond in order to reciprocate the greeting, such as in this conversation at a supermarket:
起首,不要简单地问你怎样?,同伙B问了一个稍微不合的成绩:你比来怎样?不合的是你怎样了?简单地问一个近况,你比来怎样?问一小我比来过得怎样。换句话说,这是一种追逐他人的方法。在此次说话中,这是一个恰当的成绩,由于这两个同伙好久没会晤了。你也能够捕鱼电玩上下分说你过得怎样?,意思是一样的。异样,你好吗?你好吗?根本捕鱼电玩上下分上意思雷同,都是经常使用的。作为回应,同伙A用现在完成时停止时说:“我做得很好”。在这里,很好地应用副词听起来很天然,由于它润饰的是动词to do,而不是动词to be。另外一方面,同伙B答复同伙A的成绩时说“保持住”。这是一个不经意的习语,根本捕鱼电玩上下分意思是生活很艰苦(慌乱,压力等),但这小我正在尽力跟上。你怎样了?作为问候语,对方平日会回应对方的问候语,例如在超市的这段对话中:

Cashier: Hi, how are you?
收银员:嗨,你好吗?

Customer: I’m good, thank you. How are you?
顾客:很好,感谢。你好吗?

Cashier: I’m doing well, thanks. Did you find everything alright today?
收银员:我很好,感谢。你明天一切都好吗?

Cashier: Yes, thank you.
收银员:好的,感谢。

However, as I mentioned before, it’s also acceptable to not respond to the question, since it is such a common phrase that can mean not much more than a simple greeting. This is especially true with customers, who may not always respond to the greeting that a cashier uses with every single customer:
但是,正如我之前所提到的,不答复这个成绩也是可以接收的,由于这是一个非常罕见的短语,它的意思不逾越一个简单的问候。关于客户来讲特别如此,他们能够不会总是对收银员对每个客户的问候作出回应:

Cashier: Hi, how are you?(A minute later)
收银员:嗨,你好吗?(一分钟后)

Cashier: Your total is $22.54.
收银员:总共22.54美元。

Customer: (Gives the cashier his card) Here you go.
顾客:(把他的卡给收银员)给你。

In this conversation, the cashier’s question goes unresponded, and the interaction simply continues as normal. Let’s move onto the next conversation:
在这个对话中,收银员的成绩没有回应,互动只是照旧持续。让我们进入下一个对话:

Friend A: Hey man, what’s up?
同伙A:嘿,店员,怎么了?

Friend B: Not much. How are you doing?
同伙B:不多。你好吗?

Friend A: I’m doing good. Drinks tonight?
同伙A:我做得很好。今晚喝点什么?

Friend B: Maybe. I just have to get up early for work tomorrow.
同伙B:或许吧。我明天得夙兴去下班。

Friend A: Oh, right. How’s your new job going?
同伙A:哦,对。你的新任务怎样?

Friend B: It’s alright. I just have to get used to this new schedule.
同伙B:没紧要。我只是要习气这个新的时间表。

It’s important to talk about the phrase What’s up? and how it’s different from How are you?. First of all, it’s much more informal and often used by young people. Second of all, it means something different and must be responded to accordingly. While How are you? and similar phrases ask about a person’s state of being, What’s up? asks about what the person is doing or about what is happening in general. You can respond to the question by saying what you’re currently doing (e.g., I’m working, just studying, etc.), but the most common response to just say Not much. This phrase is so common, in fact, that it has its own texting abbreviation: nm. In response, friend B doesn’t simply ask How are you? but How are you doing?. Once again, these two mean the same thing, but friend A’s response conforms to the present progressive tense (I’m doing good). Although good is technically grammatically incorrect, since the adjective is not a proper modifier for to do, it still sounds natural. In the fifth line, friend A asks a much more specific question about friend B: How’s your new job going? We have now moved past the realm of simple greetings, and the two people are now having a more involved conversation with each other. You may have noticed up until now that most of these responses to How are you? tend to be positive (I’m fine, I’m good, I’m well, etc.) However, though this is most customary, you certainly don’t have to respond this way. Some people are more honest than others and might immediately say how they are truly feeling, rather than conforming to the standard formula of greetings. For example:
重要的是什么?和你有什么不合?。起首,它更加非正式,并且常常被年青人应用。第二,它意味着不合的器械,必须作出照应的反响可以上下分的电玩软件。你呢?类似的短语问一小我的生计状况,怎么了?询问对梗直在做什么或产生了什么。你可以经过可以上下分的电玩软件过程说出你今朝在做什么来答复这个成绩(例如,我在任务,只是在进修等),然则最罕见的答复是不要说太多。现实上,这个短语非常罕见,以致于它有自己的短信缩写:nm。作为回应,同伙B不会简单地问你怎样?你还好吗?。再一次,这两个意思是一样的,然则同伙A的反响可以上下分的电玩软件符合现在停止时(我做得很好)。固然good在语法上是不精确的,但由于描述词不是todo的恰当润饰语,它听起来照样很天然的。在第五行,同伙A问了一个关于同伙B的更详细捕鱼电玩上下分的成绩:你的新任务停顿若何?我们现在曾经超出了简单问候的范畴,两人现在正在停止更深刻的对话。到今朝为止,你能够曾经留意到这些对你怎样的答复中的大多半?偏向于积极(我很好,我很好,我很好,等等),但是,虽然这是最罕见的,你固然不用如许答复。有些人比其他人更诚实,能够会急速说出他们的真实感触感染,而不是服从标准的问候语。例如:

A: How are you?
A: 你好吗?

B: Um, not so good.
B: 嗯,不太好。

A: Why, what’s wrong?
A: 怎么了?

On the other hand, the formula of How are you? followed by a positive, although ingenuine, response is so common that in order to understand one’s true current state, you’ll have to dig a bit deeper. Take a look a this example:
另外一方面,你怎样?接上去是一个积极的,固然很奇妙的反响可以上下分的电玩软件,是如此的广泛,为了懂得一小我的真实近况,你必须深刻一点。看看这个例子:

A: How are you?
A: 你好吗?

B: Fine, you?
B: 好吧,你?

A: I’m fine… You look a little upset. Is everything okay?
A: 我很好…你看起来有点不安。一切都好吗?

B: Well, not really…
B: 嗯,不是真的…

At first, person B responds to person A’s question in a conventional way by saying Fine (these one-word answers are just as appropriate as saying I’m fine, etc.). However, person A can clearly tell that something is wrong and asks person B a much more genuine question: Is everything okay? This question, functioning much differently from the common greeting of How are you?, elicits a much more honest response from person B, who confesses, “Well, not really…” Hopefully, this can show you how two questions, although they mean similar things semantically, function very differently and thus should be used differently depending on what you want from a conversation.
一开端,B用一种传统的方法答复A的成绩,说“好”(这一个词的答复和说“我很好”一样恰当,等等)。但是,人A可以清楚地看出成绩出在哪里,并问B一个更真实的成绩:一切都好吗?这个成绩的功能与普通的问候语“你好吗”有很大不合?,取得了B小我更诚实的答复,他承认,“嗯,不是真的……”欲望这能告诉你两个成绩,固然它们在语义上是类似的,但功能异常不合,是以应当根据你想从对话中取得什么来应用不合的成绩。